Born and raised in Barcelona, Spain
Nationality: Dutch (since 2014)
Nominated member of ‘AcademiaNet: Expert Database of Outstanding Female Scientists and Scholars’ (2012-) [Profile]
|Jan. 2003||Ph.D. Humanities, VU University Amsterdam
Dissertation: “Imaginary Trialogues: Conceptual Blending and Fictive Interaction in Criminal Courts”
Supervisors: Th.A.J.M. Janssen, A.V. Cicourel, F.C. van der Leek
|Nov. 1999||M.A. English Language, Autonomous University of Barcelona (cum laude)|
|Dec. 1996||M.A. English Language and Literature, Universiteit van Amsterdam (cum laude)|
|Jun. 1995||B.A. Anglo-Germanic Philology, Autonomous University of Barcelona|
|2015-||Associate Professor & Senior researcher (‘100 Talents’ program), Spanish Language & Culture Dept. and Linguistics Dept., School of International Studies, Zhejiang University, China|
|2009 -2015||Assistant Professor, Communication & Information Sciences Dept., University of Groningen, the Netherlands|
|Feb – Aug 2009||Lecturer, Communication and Information Sciences Dept., University of Groningen, Netherlands|
|2008 – 2009||Lecturer, ITV University of Applied Sciences for Translation and Interpreting, Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|2006 – 2008||Lecturer, Language and Communication Dept., VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands|
|2005 – 2009||Post-doctoral researcher, Language and Communication Dept, VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Nov – Dec 2004||Post-doctoral researcher, English Dept., Universiteit Gent, Belgium|
|2003 – 2004||Post-doctoral researcher, English Dept., Universiteit Gent, Belgium and Dept. of Cognitive Science, University of California, San Diego, USA|
|Feb – May 2003||Post-doctoral research assistant, Dutch Dept., VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands|
|Sep – Dec 2002||Ph.D. researcher, Dutch Dept., VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands|
|2000 – 2002||Visiting Ph.D. candidate, Cognitive Science Dept. and Center for Research in Language, University of California, San Diego|
|1998 – 2000||Junior lecturer, Humanities Dept., Open University of Catalonia, Spain|
|1997 – 1999||Research assistant, Sociology Dept, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain|
|1997 – 2000||Junior lecturer, Linguistics Dept., Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain|
– Editorial Board member of Journal of Linguistics, since January 2019.
– Elected President (since July 2018) and Vice-President (2016-2018) of the International Association for Cognitive Semiotics (IACS).
– Co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of Language Under Discussion, since June 2013.
– Associate member of The Center for Cognitive Science, Hunan Normal University. Director: Prof. Mark Turner, since March 2018.
– International Scientific Panel member of the European Network for Intercultural Education Activities (ENIEDA), since January 2018.
– Jury member of the 2013 AVT/Anéla Dissertation Award (Dutch Associations for Theoretical and Applied Linguistics)
– Founding member and Secretary of the Belgium and Netherlands Cognitive Linguistics Association (BeNeCLA), 2008-2010; board member, 2012-2014.
– Editorial board member of Veredas – Journal of Linguistic Studies, since May 2012.
– Founding board member of the European Society for Transcultural and Interdisciplinary Dialogue (ESTIDIA), since Jun 2012.
– Permanent member of the International Organizing Committee of the Language, Culture, and Mind (LCM) conference series, since June 2010.
– Permanent member of the scientific committee of the Spanish Association of Cognitive Linguistics (AELCO), since Sep 2013.
– Permanent reviewer of teaching and research projects for: the Catalan Foundation for University Education and Research Grants ( ‘Agència de Gestió d’Ajuts Universitaris i de Recerca’, AGAUR), since April 2011.
– Ad hoc reviewer of research projects for: Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO: Veni postdoc grants, Innovational Research Incentives Scheme), Research Foundation-Flanders (FWO: Post-doctoral fellow grants), the Research Council KU Leuven (University of Leuven, Belgium), and the LEaDing Fellows Postdocs Programme (the Netherlands).
– Ad hoc reviewer of articles in: Journal of Pragmatics, Text & Talk, Pragmatics and Society, Journal of Linguistics, Language and Cognition, Language & Communication, Folia Linguistica, International Journal of Chinese Linguistics, eHumanista/IVITRA, Nederlandse Taalkunde, Linguistics in the Netherlands, Crossroads: A Journal of English Studies, Anuari de Filologia, and Sprøg; and books or book chapters in: Cambridge University Press, Mouton de Gruyter, John Benjamins, CSDL Publications, and Berghahn Books.
Funded Research Projects
– “Fictive interaction as linguistic construction and communicative strategy” (411836), ‘Hundred Talents’ program, senior researcher position. Zhejiang University, P.R. China, 2015- 2018.
– “The Conversation Frame: Linguistic Forms and Communicative Functions in Discourse” (276-70-019), NWO, Vidi research program, Groningen University, 2010-2015.
– “Speech Representation as Re-contextualization: A Comparative Study of Reported and Constructed Questions in Dutch and American Criminal Trials” (275-70-012), NWO, Veni post-doc grant, VU University Amsterdam, 2005-2008.
– “An Ethnographic Study of Interaction and Language Use in Criminal Trials before the Flemish Jury” (R 33-302), NWO, Talent travel grant, Ghent University, Nov.-Dec. 2004.
– “A Comparative Study of Fictive Interaction Clauses in Dutch and English” (S 20-3), NWO, Talent post-doc grant, Supervisors:Prof. S. Slembrouck and Prof. A.V. Cicourel, Universiteit Gent, and University of California, San Diego, 2003-2004.
– “An Ethnographic Study of Discourse Processes in Court” (020033S), Fulbright, Supervisors: Prof. A.V. Cicourel and Prof. G. Fauconnier, University of California, San Diego, 2000-2002.
Member of advisory team
– “Epistemic Strategies in Discourse, Interaction and Communication” (FFI2008-00070/FISO), Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (MEC), P.I.: Prof. T.A. van Dijk, Pompeu Fabra Universiy (Barcelona, Spain), Jan. 2009-Jan. 2012.
– “Intertextuality in Judicial Settings: The Interrelations Between Talk and Written Documents in Police Interrogations and Criminal Trials” (PR-05-01), Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), Principal investigators: Prof. W. Spooren and Dr. M.L. Komter, VU University Amsterdam , Jan. 2007-Jan. 2011.
– “A Comparative Study of Multimodal Referential Strategies between Children with ASD and TD Controls” (17AYY009), ‘National Social Science Foundation of China’. Principal Investigator: Prof. Ma Bosen, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, 2017-Present. Research member.
– “The analysis of communicative behavior of children with ASD via artificial intelligence” (106000*194231902), Disciplinary and Innovative Project of Zhejiang University: ‘Double Brain’ Plan. Principal Investigator: Prof. Ma Bosen, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, 2018-Present. Research member.
– “Comparative Research on Waste Management in the United Kingdom and Spain” (ENV4.CT96-0239), European Union, Principal investigator: Prof. E. Laraña, External supervisor: Prof. A.V. Cicourel, Complutense University of Madrid, 1997-1999.
– “Videotapes in the Courts of Justice: Analysis of Ethnographic Data” (PB96-0737), Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (MEC), P.I.: Prof. P. Casanovas, Autonomous University Barcelona, 1996-1999.
– “Analysis of Ethnographic Data on the Practice of the Prosecution’s Office in Spain” (PB94-0737), Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (MEC), P.I.: Prof. P. Casanovas, Autonomous University Barcelona, 1994-1997.
1. Catalan: native
2. Spanish: native
3. English: near-native
4. Dutch: near-native (‘National certificate of Dutch as second language for education and work: University level’, ‘NT2’)
5. German: intermediate (Mittelstufe III)
6. French: intermediate comprehension, basic speaking (‘D.E.L.F. Premier degré’)
7. Chinese: beginners (very basic written and spoken comprehension and production)